I found a new place today...it's a park in the sky.
Well since I got back Sunday night I went out today to make sure I could find my spot again and I found it...but I felt nothing toward it anymore. My ideas have changed for the format of my project after the past few days and so this is what it has evolved into. I stumbled across my new place today while realizing I had wandering incredibly far off the path I had originally set off to take. In fact I ended up 2 blocks from Shinigawa station after starting at Azabu-Juban station near school. I was in desperate need of a toilet and I found an information map saying there was a park and toilet in there. So I follow the way it said to go and went up this ramp and walked into this park in the sky. It is neat, I think, although the toilet there sucked...um someone forgot the doors when they built it. So I figured it was fate or something...took some pictures and then walked quickly to Shinegawa station to find potty.



The place I found was very unexpected. And what I found there was even more unexpected...it was almost a little bizarre in a way, but there were buisnessmen I guess on break either curled up on a bench asleep or sprawled out over the bench asleep...2 men sitting in the grass under a tree and then some moms and their kids on the other end and a gardner tending to things somewhere in between. The park really is a neat getaway from the tall buildings all around and I wonder how many people realize it's there. It's definitely not meant to be a heavily populated park, but for the occasional stroll, or for a quiet picnic or place to read or take a snooze...it's quite nice.
So I'm thinking that my piece will be whimsical like this place is to me. Oh did I mention the 2 naked kid statues placed in the bushes...it's really funny. But anyway, so my stories are always based partly on fact, mostly because I am a documentarist in a way, but I like to elaborate and exaggerate, so that's usually how things go for me. something weird happens to me, it gets exaggerated and becomes my story.
So the stories I've been throwing around in my head are 01. my adventures here in japan and all the weird/crazy things that have happened to me...my oversized ramen, trying to get change on the bus and getting all the change back in 10 yen pieces (all 30 of them...one at a time counted by the driver), etc, etc. or 02. the memories that japan has been bringing back of my childhood and the walks I would take with my grandma and how we would make up stories based on the places we went and the people we saw, trying to figure out what they were up to. For example, one of the walks we would take was past this convent/catholic church that had a big wall all around it. So as me and my grandma would walk down the street past the convent she would tell me that she heard there was a lake inside where the nuns went out in boats...and there were geese, etc etc. Perhaps somehow the story will incorporate both those ideas...b/c they keep reoccuring. Or perhaps the story will simply be about a girl who had to use the potty and found the park in the sky, where men in buisness suits go. They would be everywhere...on a blanket having a picnic, or sleeping on the benches, or feeding the pigeons, reading a book, etc. etc.
I will probably start writing out these three and then pick the one that will fit best.
As far as the format...that has changed a tiny bit as well. Instead of making the story like the picture cards that the kamabachi men used to perform...instead I want to make a narrative scroll like the ones I saw in the national gallery museum in kyoto. Then I want to use that video stop motion thing to animate the illustrations. And then I'll take that video and place it in the website...which will have the process documented and then the final piece.
So that's all for now...be sure to tune in tomorrow for more Park in the Sky.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home