Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Expectations...

Well I've been here 26 days now...that's just crazy! It also means that my time here is more than halfway over and that makes me a little sad. Everything has been incredible so far. The culture, the people, the food, the walking for miles every day, how there is something going on all the time, so there's always something new to see and experience. I've been trying to take advantage of every opportunity to do things I normallly wouldn't ever get the chance to do in the states. Like the other day I went to see a French film with Japanese subtitles. You look at things differently when you don't know what exactly people are talking about, but there is still so much you can read from people without knowing a word of what they say. So that has become somewhat fascinating to me, because it's relation on this whole other level. It's like when you've been around someone for a long time, and after a while just a single look can communicate more than words ever could. I always like watching two people talk and seeing if I can try and figure out what they're talking about. I read once that that's what great directors do is lots of people watching. So here in Japan I've had lots of opportunities to people watch.

It gets a little frustrating though, when you really need to communicate with someone more than just pointing and nodding and smiling. Most of the time here in Tokyo, you'll be able to get by with just that, but that only helps in certain situations. When they need to ask you a question about something, forget about it...then it's just a whole lot of wakarimasen from me, I don't understand, and they are just left to not know what to do...and that is frustrating for everyone when they don't know what you're saying and you don't know what their saying and so it's just a big uggghh. But other than that Japan has surpassed my every expectation. There was nothing that could have prepared me for the actual experience of coming here. I'm sure the experience is different for everyone. For me I felt instantly at home, then I started noticing big differences and things that baffled and amazed me and then a feeling of comfort, but at the same time knowing that it'll be nice to go home and be able to ask for exactly what you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home